On the streets of Chernivtsi
“You should get to know your town just like I know mine”
– The Clash, City of the Dead.
Chernivtsi isn’t my town, I want to get to know it though.
My intention is to map photos of Chernivtsi on Google maps and conduct a little research on current and past street names, i.e. those of the Ukrainian, Soviet, Hapsburg and Romanian periods. The idea is to run off down rabbit holes inspired by these names and see what I come up with.
I also want to know what it will be like to arrive in a completely new city that I actually know pretty damn well all thanks to the internet.
- Most of the images are coming from the whasup Live Journal page
- Street names are from the Czernowitz Street Name Translator page
My intention is to use the photos from the Live Journal page as a jumping off pointing for further exploration.
- Turetska street (Türkenbrunnengasse, Turcească, Kolarova)
- Pereyaslavs’ka Street (Steingasse, O.Josif)